Here are some more details of the precautions we’re taking this Summer:
- Staggered start times
- We’ll be allowing 5 students for each morning and afternoon start time with 30 minutes in between. This should allow us to get each group in and situated to avoid crowding at the door.
- 10 students or less
- The studio space has been opened up and emptied out, a space where we can often host 35+ kids is now set up for just 10.
- 3.5 Hour sessions and full weeks only, no full-day students
- Kids will have much-reduced freedom to move around the studio this Summer. Since they will also be wearing masks, a 3.5-hour time slot seems about right. This also gives us time to stager start and end times plus allow time to clean between sessions. Not allowing full-day students reduces exposure for each group of kids on a given week.
- Masks are worn by all employees and students
- We will be doing our very best to encourage kids to wear their masks the entire time they’re here. We all know this is hard but also necessary in this “new normal”.
- Daily temperature checks for employees and students
- Temperatures will be recorded along with sign-in data for each student and employee. Anyone with a high temperature will be given a chance to cool down and retest (it is Summer after all).
- Handwashing upon arrival, before and after eating, and end of class. Hand sanitizer will be available for between handwashing.
- Scheduled snack times, no off schedule eating will be permitted.
- Dedicated workspace, tools, and machines for each student for the duration of the week.
- Sewing stations are placed six feet apart and all personal belongings will be kept at the station. Stations are now placed along the walls so there are no students across from each other.
- Disinfection procedures between morning and afternoon sessions.
- Hospital-grade disinfectant will be used on surfaces and bathroom facilities.
- We have installed an electrostatic filter on the central A/C system.
- The studio will utilize an ozone system to disinfect the entire studio space each night. Ozone has been shown to be effective and safe against viruses like Covid-19.
Just like Open Studio, Summer vacation programs are project-based with a mix of ages sewing individual projects at their own pace and skill level. Studio helpers circulate the room teaching each student relevant skills to complete their projects. We highly encourage independence and self-exploration! Vacation days are a relaxed atmosphere full of creativity and silliness. A great confidence building and peer bonding activity for kids 6 and up!